Green Vines Background

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Getting Out of the Bubble

Traveling is something I have always dreamed about. I watch the Amazing Race and I always think, "Man, I wish I could go somewhere awesome like that someday." Well I finally decided to do something about it. There is a month and a half long Art and Design study abroad in Europe through BYU this summer and I have decided to apply. The majority of it is in London:


But there are also stops in Basel, Switzerland:


Mainz, Germany


Amsterdam, The Netherlands


Edinburgh, Scotland


And Paris, France


Doesn't that seem amazing? The program includes visits to tons of museums and I would get to see all the art I have been learning about in my art history classes IN PERSON instead of in a textbook. 

This seems like the most amazing opportunity ever and I really hope I get in. I have started the application and now all I have to do is write a letter of intent.....guess we'll see how that goes lol. 

The only thing is this costs tons and tons of money. I have put so much effort into being careful with my money and not wasting it. I don't have any student loans and the only debt I have is my car loan which I always make payments on way in advance. I think if I don't try and do this I will regret it. The money will be worth it....if I can come up with $5,600, plus a passport, airfare and cost of food and personal expenses while abroad....

Luckily, my half tuition benefit will be applied to part of it, plus any financial aid I may be lucky enough to get. I have some money saved...and hopefully I can earn enough by the deadline. If anyone wants to donate to the cause I won't turn them down lol. 

I think that at this point in my life, this is the perfect time for me to do something like this. I don't have any responsibilities holding me back right now and I think this kind of experience is just what I need to get out of the rut I've been in for so long. I'm really nervous but also excited at the same time, if I get to go. 

Wish me luck :)

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea. I always wished I had had an experience like that at your age. I went to Iceland, but not to sight-see, so its not quite the same. You can do it!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing Jennie!! I know this can be an experience that will change your life. I love you and will be praying that you can get this opportunity. ~Aunt Sarah

    ReplyDelete