Green Vines Background

Thursday, April 19, 2012

National Geographic Has Stolen My Heart

For those of you who don't know, I am obsessed with National Geographic. My ABSOLUTE dream job would to be a photographer for them. I know that people can submit photos to their photo contests and such so I guess that's a start.

In the May 2012 edition, Klaus Enrique, a photographer based in Mexico City and London, recreated some of Giuseppe Arcimboldo's paintings. Arcimboldo painted portraits of people using plants to make up the faces.
  
 Arcimboldo's painting "The Vegetable Gardener" 1590

Enrique's photograph recreation of "The Vegetable Gardener"

Arcimboldo's painting "Summer" 1563

Enrique's photograph recreation of "Summer"

Arcimboldo's painting "Winter" 1572


 
Enrique's photograph recreation of "Winter"


Arcimboldo's painting "Spring" 1573

Enrique's photograph recreation of "Spring"


While these aren't my favorite paintings, or photographs, you do have to appreciate the creativity and hard work that went into creating them. Both artists spent a great amout of time planning out what objects and colors to use to create their images. The idea of using small objects to make a huge object is what sculptors use all the time, with awesome results.

Also in this edition of National Geographic, they had an article about the Manakin bird. It is a bird found in Central and South America that can make music with its wings and does the moonwalk.
Check it out:

AND
Here are some awsome photographs from National Geographic.
Archaeologists recently unearthed 3,000 Buddha statues in Handan, China that are 1,500 years old:


This is a relic of the Iran/Iraq war. It is an oil tanker in the Persian Gulf, "scuttled" by Sadam Hussein to block access by sea to Southern Iraq.



This is high tide at the Indonesian island Pulau Balai. In March, 2005 a seafloor earthquake lowered the island by 3 feet, and the high tide frequently floods houses.


This is Karkonosze National Park in Poland




This is a cave painting in Papua, New Guinea


There are so many pictures I LOVE of theirs, but there is no way I could put them all on here. If you want to see more, just go to www.nationalgeographic.com and they have TONS. I could spend hours on there.
I am a self proclaimed dork. I love National Geographic, Animal Planet, Mythbusters, Pawn Stars, Discovery Channel, River Monsters, the History Channel, all that good stuff. I guess I just like learning. Oh well, knowledge is power lol.
Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. Pawn Stars is one of my favorite shows. I've watched every episode on Netflix.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete